Happy Dada Day

Father's Day was one for the books this year, but not in the traditional sense.

I had been sick the week before and was coming off a cold, so I wasn't much in planning mode. 

Here's how the day went down:
  • Kevin slept in (probably his highlight!)
  • Abigail insisted on cake for breakfast (we kept talking about Dada Day, so she figured any good celebration should include cake), so at her request, we served her cake (a muffin), put a candle in it, and sang her Happy Birthday.
  • Kevin vacuumed the living room
  • I was exhausted, so Kev brought the kids to the YMCA while I stayed home and napped
  • Kevin made lunch while I hung with the kiddos

(See, not traditional Father's Day fun...)

When they got back, we hung out for a bit before heading to Mamie and Papa's to spend the afternoon with them.  Mamie made delicious brats for dinner and strawberry pie for dessert, but right around 5 o'clock I started feeling sick...and it got worse.

By the time we left, I was pretty sure I had food poisoning (from lunch) and by the time we got home, Kevin was feeling exactly the same.  So instead of an evening relaxing and unwinding, Kevin and I clocked serious bathroom time.

After getting the kids down, we laid in bed, wasted from an evening of "activity".  I looked over to Kevin:

Me: "I owe ya one"

Kev: "No, this was the best Father's Day yet"

Me: "What?  How's that?!?"

Kev: "I spent the day with the kids and George was here"

In all the mess of the day, he found the silver lining: enjoying our family of four on George's first Father's Day, and finding joy in the mundane. 

I could learn a thing or two  :)


Kevin, your good nature, patience, and love never cease to amaze me.  You are a wonderful Dad, and we are so lucky to have you.

Happy Father's Day, my love.


(I owe ya one!) 


 

Comments

Popular Posts