Minnie

I knew this would be a hard post to write, so I've been putting it off.

On Monday morning, we said goodbye to Minnie.



After months of weight loss I brought her into the vet early this week.    I had been noticing the weight loss, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I started to see how skinny and malnourished she was getting.

The vet determined she was suffering from late-stage hyperthyroidism and her kidneys were shutting down.  It was a painful assessment; why I didn't notice it earlier and help her?  That thought still haunts me.

But at 11am on Monday morning, through a mountain of tears, regret, and sorrow, I bid farewell to the most loyal friend I've ever known.

Minnie, 

You were the first piece to my "own" family.  I remember vividly the day I got you.  It was my 21st birthday and Rebecca and Steph came over bearing a gift (more specifically, a brown grocery bag).  I opened it and looked inside; there you were, shaking and nervously looking up at me.  

I remember you fit so perfectly in my hand; from head to tail you were only as long as my hand, so I thought it fitting to name you Minnie.  I was living at home at the time and rushed upstairs to show my Dad.  He was less than amused; yet another animal I was bringing home.... (I had a pattern of animal hoarding).

A couple years later we moved to our own place in the city (we were big time!), but I felt bad leaving you on the weekends, so I decided a friend was the best option: Jack!  You didn't agree and soon Jack was farmed off to my parents house where Victor eventually took him.

Things were pretty calm for a few years.... some emotional blips came with each move (you were always very nervous), then Kevin came along and that took some adjusting to as well (especially the guitar), but nothing rocked your world quite like Abigail's birth.  

For the first time in your life you fell second fiddle, but you were a great big sister and did your best to get along.  She scared you at first (no shock there), but before I knew it, you two were the best of friends; thick as thieves, and even I felt left out at times.  You let her do just about anything to you (maul you, pull your tail, yell "ca" without batting an eye), and I know in a way, she was your baby too.

Accepting the fact that you're gone is so hard, but I know you had a happy life and it gives me great comfort knowing you're no longer in pain.  So here it is, my letter to you, put out to the Universe for what it's worth. 

I hope you know how loved you are.  You will always be such a special part of our family.

Rest peacefully, Goose.  










Comments

So sorry, Tanya. I only glimpsed Minnie a few times as she was darting out of the room in fear, but I know she was sweet. Thinking of you!
mamie said…
Dear Tanya,
I have been thinking of you so you this week...there is nothing quite as hard as losing a beloved pet. They are silent partner's to us in life...unconditionally loving us and a constant presence. I love how Abigail cracked Minnie's code and wormed her way into Minnie's heart.
By the way, I would absolutely love a copy of that picture of the 3 of you...I love it!

Love you tons,

Amy

Popular Posts