Goodbye, Teacher Charlotte and Henry

Yesterday was full of goodbyes.

It started with Abigail's last day of preschool for the year.  With the baby coming in September, I'm looking for a new co-op that will offer infant care, so yesterday was her last day of class and we celebrated with a field trip to the zoo!

We bundled up for the crazy weather (rain coats and sunglasses!) and spent the morning with Teacher Charlotte and our preschool friends.

Bitsy Girl's first school field trip.  Rockin the field trip vest  :)
Abigail could have spent all day watching the penguins (she would sing every time the water rushed out from the rocks) and loved watching the penguins swim by or waddle on shore.





After peeling her away from the penguin tank, we continued on to see the jaguar, lions, monkeys, elephants, and giraffes.

It was such a fun day; Abigail was so interested in watching the animals (and people, of course).

I think a zoo membership is in order!

Abigail wins the "spot" competition

Checking out the big kids while Easton and Raleigh watch the orangatans

Pit stop for snack


Hanging out in Owen's stroller with Mr. Moo!  
Our field trip ended in the north meadow with circle time and a birthday celebration for all the summer babies.


One last song with Mr. Moo

The gang together one last time

Abigail and Teacher Charlotte

I got by without tears yesterday, but the finality is settling in (along with the tears).  Not only did we say goodbye to Teacher Charlotte yesterday, but to Henry as well (the Clayton's will be moving back to MI next week, so we spent the afternoon at Henry's house playing and saying our goodbyes).

I'm beginning to process the significance of it all: we're moving onto a new chapter of our lives with new beginnings, new family members, and new experiences.

While I look forward with great anticipation, I simultaneously mourn these winds of change: best friends moving, my daughter saying her first goodbyes, and the frightening thrill of the unknown.

With that said, I want to take a moment to say thank you to two very important people in our lives:

Charlotte, for the invaluable support you provided me as a first time Mom, I will be forever grateful.  For teaching and guiding Abigail through her first year of "school", sharing your words of wisdom with me, teaching us so many fun songs and new activities, and most importantly, for loving my baby like your own.  You are a treasure.

And to you, Mr. Henry.  You were Abigail's first buddy, and I'll never forget the day we met; your big blue eyes scanning the room, eager to take on the world.  It has been a joy watching you grow into such an inquisitive, determined, and bright young man.  You have a curious, loving nature that will serve you well in life, and I will surely miss your quirky antics: signing for food when you're in trouble (in hopes of changing the subject), your belief that a good swat is better than a hug (sometimes I think so too...), your gentle heart, and most of all, that welcoming smile that greets us every time we see you.  Uncle Hawk, Abigail, and I love you so much and we will miss you deeply.


Until we see you again, take care dear friends.




Comments

mamie said…
Okay, just want to say that Mamie was crying before we even got through the first part about school being down and was in full blown crying mode by the end of the post. Abigail is growing up so fast...and I love watching all the changes and seeing her personality develop and shine but I sometimes wish I could freeze frame moments...so excited for the future but wish I could hold onto the past. That last picture with Henry was soooo sweet!

Popular Posts