Thanksgiving 2010

As promised, here are some pictures from Thanksgiving weekend.  Such a great weekend full of food, family and great memories.  It's times like these that make us so thankful for all we have. 
This year we stayed out in Brenner Canyon at the Szmania family farmhouse.  If that name sounds familiar, it's because they're also the owners of Szmania's in Magnolia; a restaurant in the village....used to be one of my Grandparent's favorite local places for dinner. 
We headed out from Issaquah early on Wednesday afternoon and arrived by 5pm.  I didn't take a ton of pictures but got a few shots below that captured the weekend well....next year I'll be better about it.

The house was beautiful!  With 10 of us staying, it was nice to have our own bedrooms and get a chance to spread out.  Woke up Thursday morning and began prepping for the big meal.  First step was getting the turkey fryer assembled. 




Kevin and I got this turkey fryer for my Dad last Christmas after he'd shown interest in trying it this year.  Took the guys a while to get everything set up, but once that was done, we headed out for a walk.  This ended up being my one and only walk.  Temperatures were in the teens and freezing!! 


River lovin' the snow.  At one point in the weekend, he took a morning siesta in the snow and was covered with snowfall 20 minutes later.  He's very different from Porsha who enjoys leather couches and fires (city dogs!)



Walking down the lane



Two very cold city gals!



Back to the fire I went!

Once I de-thawed I came into the kitchen to watch the turkey getting ready...lots of pics below of the process and the turkey frying crew.








After that was done, the guys relaxed while we worked on getting the rest of the meal ready.



My half set dinner table

Anthony making gravy



Kev carving the fried bird....oven one was running behind schedule.



Sitting down for the feast...delicious meal!  Thanks to everyone who helped out.

Saturday morning we headed to my parents property in Chumpstick.  It's always fun to go see my great-Grandparents house where my Grandma grew up, and my Grandparents cabin where we spent countless years playing in the snow and running in the fields.

After we left we stopped by the Leavenworth train station.  My Dad hadn't been up here for 40 plus years.  When he was younger my Grandma used to take him and my Uncle up to Leavenworth to visit my Great Grandparents and when my Grandpa would be traveling, they would take the train.  When my Dad was really young, my Great Grandpa used to stand out by the tracks near the farm house and flag down the train.  In later years, they would come here to the train station to catch a ride home.



Back at Brenner Canyon later that day, Kevin and Victor decided to embark on a hike.  Initially this was to be a "Kevin and Tanya outing", but I opted out, choosing instead to stay warm inside.  It also gave Lucy and I time to scour through gardening books and start an outline for our yard next spring.  Below are pictures from their hike.  Nice work guys!




Such a great weekend away with the family, a great tradition that we treasure every year!  Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend as well.

Comments

Stefanie said…
Looks fun (and cold!) !! Glad you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Popular Posts