All things honeymoon!

Yes we are excited for the wedding, and yes, we can't wait to be married, but we're also extremely excited about the honeymoon....or at least you can tell that I am!! I just finished our Visa applications for Turkey and about a month ago we finalized all of our hotels for the islands and Istanbul. We will be leaving for our honeymoon a day and a half after the wedding and returning on August 12th (the day after my 30th birthday). I joke with Kevin that he'd better be planning some amazing surprise for me, but this trip alone will be the best gift ever.

Okay, details...

See below for the places we will be staying. Like I mentioned on our website, if you have been to any of these places before, we welcome suggestions for good restaurants, beaches, ect.

Oh and if you get stumped on what to get us for a wedding present (and you want to keep it cheap), feel free to load us up on sunscreen....these two whities are going to fry!

Santorini

We will be staying in Imerovigli (above image taken from our hotel). This is a small town located about 25 minutes by foot from Fira (the main town in Santorini). We chose this town for a couple of reason. One, I am obsessed with travel blogs, did lots of research on where to stay and Imerovigli came highly recommended. And two, Kevin and I have done enough summer travel to understand that a main town in peak season is about the least desirable place to be. Below is a link to our hotel. It came highly recommended and will be the perfect place to begin our honeymoon!
http://www.afroessa.gr/


Paros



I visited Paros with my family back in 1995, but to be quite honest, I was more focused on my Walkman blaring my Color Me Bad tape (that album still reminds me of Greece) than I was with taking in the sites. So, while I've been before, this time I will be going with the best travel partner a girl could ask for and a more appreciative set of eyes!! Our stay in Paros will be the longest (6 nights), so we hope to make a few day trips to Antiparos and Naxos during our time here. Oh, and the owner of our hotel (Starvo's his name) has already proven quite the charming host! We've talked to him a bunch on email and he's making sure a car is waiting (free of charge!) when we get off the ferry in Paros!



Mykonos
When Kevin first suggested it, I was hesitant to go to Mykonos for our honeymoon. I thought, "Really? An island full of nude beaches, flaming gay guys and night clubs?!" Plus, as my Nuna Soula always said "that is the island for the gays" (in her thick Greek accent). But Kevin decided it would be a nice reprieve from the slow pace of the first week and a half, and, as an added bonus, he'd get a few glimpses of naked European beach babes before being locked away with me till Kingdom Come...wahahaha!

Mykonos was tricky when it came to finding a hotel. While there are accommodations galore, they tend to be very expensive and book well in advance during summer months since "the gays" make this an annual hot spot- yes, I said annual....head out of the gutter, please! Below is the place we'll be staying. This little gem is located just a stones throw from a great public, yet quiet beach. If you know anything about beaches in Mykonos, a quiet one is not easy to come by, so we were thrilled to have found this place.
http://www.argo-mykonos.gr/


Istanbul

Oh, Istanbul!

I have always had a thing for Islamic culture. Back in collage I had planned to study abroad at the University of Cairo, but that dream was short lived after 9/11. So, imagine by excitement when Kevin suggests we end our honeymoon in Istanbul!! For those of you not familiar with this part of the world, Istanbul is a very unique city which connects the East and West- literally. Historically known as Byzantium and Constantinople, Istanbul is Turkey's largest city. It is located on the Bosphorus Straight extending on both the European and Asian side thereby making it the only metropolis in the world situated on two continents! Cool, huh? But enough of my history and geography report!
While here we plan to visit the Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, and a few other attractions along with some quality time in a Turkish bath house or two (if we can find a women friendly one) but if not, I'll let Kevin go and I'll spend the afternoon in the Bazaar; shopping is what I do best! Kevin found an apartment centrally located in the old part of town near the Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar. With a full kitchen at our disposal, we are hoping for a few home cooked meals making for a nice evening in on our very own patio!
http://www.istanbulsuitehome.com/

We can't wait for our honeymoon! It will be a trip of a lifetime!

***

In other news, we finally finished registering on Monday night. It was a fun adventure (and yes, I let Kevin use the gun). We love everything we registered for and can't wait to come home after the honeymoon and start unpacking our new treasures!

That's all for now. A few things coming down the pipe (new roommate, visa application acceptance, house for sale May 1st, upcoming bridal shower, ect...) so we'll be sure to keep you posted once we have some new news!

Until then, take care and Happy freakin' Friday!


Comments

Popular Posts