Skip to main content

Three Times the Celebration!

Abigail got to celebrate her birthday three times this year, and while she may have been born in the Year of The Rabbit, this was the Year of The Choo-Choo.

Festivities began Saturday afternoon at Lattawood Park.  We scored on the weather and with not many people at the park, we practically had the place to ourselves.

The kids brought bikes and scooters, the adults had ladder ball, shade, and libations, and everyone, including a few of our furry friends, enjoyed a relaxing afternoon. 

It took the birthday girl a while to warm up


Playing ball.  One of Abigail's great loves

Charlie and George

Uncle Bob and George

Charlie and Auntie Anne

Baby Cameron

Reid, Alford, Cameron, Steph, Johanna, and Taryn

Steph, Danielle, Reid, and my Dad

Safety first  :)

Mason and Charlie riding bikes

Our "venue"   :)

When asking Abigail what she wanted for her birthday, her response was "a choo-choo cake".

Well that's easy!

So I called Borachinni's the week before, making the mistake of over-specifying:

"So it's for my daughter's third birthday.  She's obsessed with trains right now, so I want a super train-themed, but not too girly cake.  Actually not girly at all.  But she's a girl."

I should have know by the long pause on the other end, but when Mamie picked it up and saw the description: "Super Girly Crazy Train themed cake", we knew we were in trouble  ;)


But the birthday girl approved!





The Happy Birthday song is a pretty big deal to her right now.  We sing it at least once a day, so when everyone joined in to sing to her, she was one happy girl.

Abigail got lots of cool gifts: a floor puzzle, some Thomas the Train toys, a Frozen balloon, and a scooter (!!), but the most memorable gift was a parachute made by Oscar  :)

Said parachute :)

Abby and Emma dress up magnets from Auntie  (Lucy has one that Abigail loves to play with)

She opened the scooter last as though she understood the anticipation

The fun last 30 seconds.  The first sign of a potential fall and she was done!

After songs were sang, cake was eaten, and gifts were opened, our family was there to help pack up and get us on our way.

(I'm warming up to the idea of these low key affairs!)

Thanks again to everyone who came to celebrate our girl.  We had a great time with each of you!

Event #2 was Abigail's school party on her actual birthday.  I dropped her off at school at regular time, then ran to get cupcakes, party hats, and blowers for the kids.  Kevin and I came back to an ever eager Birthday Girl, ready to celebrate with all of her friends.  It was so much fun spending time at school and seeing her sitting there at the little table, eating cake, and enjoying time with friends.







And not having clean up duty or the responsibility of dealing with said toddler after a morning cupcake was a treat as well  :)

But boy was she ready for a nap later that morning!


Last night my parents, Victor & Catherine, Uncle Bob, and a few of my Dad's cousins came over for a family get together / birthday party.

And this time, I scored on the choo-choo cake!


Abigail was in LOVE with her cake and wanted to look at it or stand next to it constantly.  This was great collateral for getting her to go potty:

"If you go potty, I'll let you see the choo-choo cake again"

She was so excited about the cake, that it worked every time!




This morning we spent some time at home before going off to school.  Abigail is now in full potty training mode and doing great!  It's so funny how this one thing makes her seem so much older to me.

But then again, she IS three now  :)

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Wenatchee

Happy Birthday, Kevin! We spent an awesome 4 days on Lake Wenatchee this past weekend; relaxing by the lake, (attempting) to fish, playing in the water, and enjoying quality time together as a family.  Our parents joined us on Saturday afternoon to celebrate Kevin's birthday; a wonderful day full of family, food, and the great outdoors. Weekend highlights include Fish Lake on Friday (Abigail and i will not be invited back for the next fishing adventure...we may have mangled the line more than once), a trip into Leavenworth for pizza and dancing at the gazebo, a steak feast for Kevin's birthday, and relaxing by the bonfire that evening. Here are some pictures of our trip. Friday at Fish Lake "helping" Dad with his tackle While Kevin fished, Abigail and I fed Parmesan garlic pita chips to the ducks. At one point, we had a crowd of 10! Ladies of leisure on the lake  :) This sums up our fishing experience... Thursday evening f...

20 week ultrasound

Yesterday Kevin and I went to our 20 week ultrasound.  Everything looked great and the two questions still lingering in my mind were confirmed. 1) Yes, it's a boy! 2) Nope, I'm not having twins  :) I've heard it a million times: with each pregnancy you pop a little sooner, but when I was in maternity pants at 12 weeks, I thought surely there must be two in there... Here are some pictures, if you'd like to see. During George's 20 week ultrasound Kevin admitted he'd almost fallen asleep, so I will admit: I had a hard time staying awake this time  :) But we did get to see him in 4D ultrasound which we've never done before, so that was really cool. So fun! After our appointment we went to breakfast at Salish Lodge and took my first Month of Bumps picture. (cue shrills of excitement from everyone eager to see belly pics for the next 4 months!) Before taking the picture I (lovingly) assured Kevin that yes, we would be taking...

Minnie

I knew this would be a hard post to write, so I've been putting it off. On Monday morning, we said goodbye to Minnie. After months of weight loss I brought her into the vet early this week.    I had been noticing the weight loss, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I started to see how skinny and malnourished she was getting. The vet determined she was suffering from late-stage hyperthyroidism and her kidneys were shutting down.  It was a painful assessment; why I didn't notice it earlier and help her?  That thought still haunts me. But at 11am on Monday morning, through a mountain of tears, regret, and sorrow, I bid farewell to the most loyal friend I've ever known. Minnie,  You were the first piece to my "own" family.  I remember vividly the day I got you.  It was my 21st birthday and Rebecca and Steph came over bearing a gift (more specifically, a brown grocery bag).  I opened it and looked inside; there you were,...